Solid Waste & Recycling
The City is committed to cleanliness by facilitating trash and recycling collection. To uphold this commitment, the City contracts with GreenWaste Recovery, a private hauler who provides our residents and commercial businesses with trash, recycling and yard waste collection. If you have questions regarding collection dates, bin replacement, what to recycle or service changes, please contact GreenWaste Recovery.
If you have questions about what items are trash or what can be recycled, please visit What Goes Where or download the "What Goes Where?" app. GreenWaste Recovery also recycles holiday trees during the first 3 weeks of the new year. For more information visit GreenWaste Recovery.
GreenWaste Holiday Pick Up ScheduleGreenWaste does not collect on Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year's Day. If regular collection is on a holiday, collection for the rest of the week is delayed by one day. For more information visit GreenWaste Recovery.
Monterey Regional Waste Management DistrictMonterey Regional Waste Management District has a Household hazardous waste program. The facility is open from 9am to 4 pm from Tuesday to Saturday and takes items ranging from medications to batteries. For more detailed information click here.
CRV Buyback CentersCRV Buyback centers are centers where they buy back the empty drink containers. For a list of local CRV Buyback centers visit Cal Recycle.
Compost is organic material that can be added to soil to help plants grow. Food scraps and yard waste together currently make up more than 28 percent of what we throw away, and should be composted instead. Making compost keeps these materials out of landfills where they take up space and release methane, a potent greenhouse gas. For help on composting at home click here.
Household Hazardous Waste Hazardous waste is a waste with properties that make it dangerous or capable of having a harmful effect on human health or the environment. Some examples of Household Hazardous Waste include:
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Engine oil or other auto parts
- Electronic waste
Household Hazardous waste can be recycled at the House Hold Hazardous Waste Facility Tuesday- Saturday from 9am - 4pm. The facility also has some items available free of charge. For more information visit HHW Collection Facility.
Waste Reduction and Recycling Information & Links
- Monterey Regional Waste Management District for reuse, recycling, composting, materials recovery and landfill disposal
- Cal Recycle for bottles and cans, E-waste, and used oil.
- Proper Disposal of Household Hazardous Waste such as Paint, Cleaning Products and Electronic Waste
- Proper Disposal of Sharps and Pharmaceuticals
- Protect Your Central Coast to learn how to reduce, reuse and recycle in your home or business
- Keep Monterey County Clean to report a litter problem
- Monterey County Green Business Program
- State Requirements on Business Recycling